Ludlow's Island Resort

A friendly way to get to know about Ludlow's Island family resort up on Lake Vermilion, feel free to leave a comment.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Loon's on Vermilion, Natures Amenity



This picture was donated by former head dock boy Than Tibbetts Thank you Than for all the wonderful pictures that you have sent me to share with every one.
This picture was taken from our very own docks where it is not uncommon to see the Loons hanging out. They show their curiosity of our establishment almost every day during the summer.
This past summer I was driving the shuttle boat to one of our off island cabins returning some guest to their cabin after they were done enjoying the beach and on my way back a loon was just sitting in the water in front of me and the guest, as I come up on the beautiful bird it picked its back leg out of the water and waved at me. That was one of the strangest things that I ever saw, and a very friendly gesture, so I waved back at the loon. The guest then looked in the direction of my wave and asked what I waved at since they did not see the Loon waving, I then explained what I saw they were very surprised, but I am guessing that they might not of believed me. So I drop them off on the docks and the little girl stayed in the boat and another adult from their cabin came back with her to the island since she still wanted to hang out on the beach. This time on the way back I informed them of the friendly Loon since it was still there and with hopes of a repeat performance, sure enough once we got within the same distance as the last wave the Loon spun around to face the boat and once again picked its back leg up and waved its back leg 3 times back and forth, both guest saw it this time. This is a true story , it has only happen once to me but at least I have witnesses.
On lake Vermilion there are many Loons and they fill the lake with their mysterious calls and late night conversations that they have with each other, if you ever stay on lake Vermilion in the summer time you keep your windows open at night and enjoy the magical sounds and calls of the Minnesota state bird.
Have a great weekend
John Burger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home